Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Week of the Birthday

Mason just recently turned 5. My how time flies!
Here he is on the day he was born. Monday, August 15, 2005, just hours old.

Then he turned into a one year old.


And then a two year old...


And then a three year old...




And then a four year old...


And now a five year old.


This is probably the first year Mason had an idea of what he wanted for his birthday, what he wanted to do, how many days left until he was 5...etc. One of the big things he really wanted to do was go camping in Big Bear, where Nani & Papa (my parents) stay for the summer. So we went up the weekend before his birthday and had so much fun! Our good friends, the Gunn's, came up for the day Saturday to get away from the desert heat and hang out with us. We took the boat out on the lake and let the boys have a little fun tubing. It was their first time tubing and they all loved it, I was very impressed with how brave they all were.. because even if I wasn't pregnant, I would be too chicken to go! Marni was brave enough for the both of us and took her turn on the tube. She did great... and even got some air! Mason was the only boy who fell off the tube (with Daddy of course) and he handled it like a champ! Those swimming lessons really helped his comfort level in the water. My sister met us up there with my nephew for dinner and cake and we really just had so much fun. It was wonderful weather with wonderful people! The night before Mason's birthday I kissed him goodnight and said "This is your last day as a 4 year old. You're going to wake up tomorrow and be 5!" He just lit up. I don't think he realized it was literally the next day, and neither did I! I admit it got me a little me teary-eyed thinking about my boys growing up right before my eyes. What do you do? I can't freeze them in time lol! So I just try to enjoy every moment I can while they're little, and say things funny, and ask for help with everything, and take a ton of pictures for when I forget how little and cute they were! So the next day we all woke up, had chocolate chip pancakes per request of the birthday boy, and went to church. We had lunch at Red Robin with Grammy & Gramps (Josh's parents). We realized we've had 3 birthday meals for the boys at Red Robin for the boys so it must be a tradition in the making =) Later that night after church we had a casual get together for cake and ice cream (one last time!) with friends and grandparents.. it was his actual birthday after all ;) Chocolate cake and Mint Cookie Crunch Ice cream (from Dreyers) has been his personal fave and I'm right there with him! That's my boy! All in all it was a great "week" of celebrating Mason. We had fun treating him extra special and loving on him. And I enjoy having a whole week to cope with my baby turning another year older =) Here are some moments captured of our fun filled week!


Getting ready for his first tube ride with Daddy

Party pooper on the boat!

 Mitchell woke up when he realized there was actual fun on the boat!

He really loved it!

Best buds Hunter & Mason

Micah taking a turn with Kevin



A little stop at Bass Pro Shop on our way down the mountain

Lunch at Red Robin. Mason was showing off how "strong" he is as a 5 year old!


Spoons all over the place!

Brothers

He loves chocolate just like his Mama


More cake & ice cream with friends... it doesn't get better than this!

2 comments:

  1. awwww I think all those pictures brought a tear (or two) to my eye!! Horray for turning 5! Good thing you have three others you get to celebrate more 5th Birthdays with!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great memories! It is so neat to see the way Mason has changed over the years. I think you were pregnant with Mason when I first met you :-) I love the pictures from Big Bear- the boys will have so many great memories of growing up together with Hunter & Sawyer!

    ReplyDelete