Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Help! It's Hunting Season!

Be vewy, vewy quiet! I'm hunting wecipes...
I was so excited for September. It usually doesn't feel anything like fall when September hits but the last few days here have been gorgeous! Usually we just pretend like it's fall. And I was excited to start pretending! Until my sweet husband reminded me that it's hunting season. Dove hunting season. It's only a measly two week season, but I completely forgot about it. And it totally stole my "fall" excitement! I forgot that Josh would take the day off work to go hunting opening day. He would probably go hunting the next couple of evenings. He would go hunting that weekend, and then any chance he could get the following week. Josh has been hunting dove (and other 'game') for the past 7 years, at least. He does it for hobby, it's not like we need to hunt so that we will have supper on the table (thank the Lord!). But he hates to throw away what he shoots. He's still a conservative! So my sweet husband asks me, each year, every year, what new recipes I'm going to try with the dove he brings home. Know that the only good amount of meat on the bird is the breast, and it's only about the size of a chicken nugget. A chicken nugget! And it sure don't taste nothing like chicken! It has that gamey taste to it that doesn't leave you asking for more. No wonder I've seen so many recipes that have the little birdies wrapped in jalapenos... it's to mask the taste! So I'm now on the hunt for a few different dove recipes. My brave and talented friend, Hollie, wrapped them up in bacon and grilled them on skewers one year and that was probably the best version of dove I have ever had. Even then I was only able to muster down one or two. Mitchell (at one years old) had a feast and ate more than I did! He sure scored points with his Daddy that day =) I'm sure Josh was thinking many manly thoughts about hunting with his boys! But I'm almost relieved Dove season is so short, how many birds can a guy get? We shall see...until then, wish me luck on my own hunt! I'm almost tempted to cook so awful that they are completely inedible...is that horrible? Or maybe I will finally master cooking wild game! Be looking for a future post about my adventures in the kitchen... I know you want to ;)

5 comments:

  1. ewwwww I don't have any suggestions, however the bacon thing sounded the best to me! ;) Can't wait to hear about this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love the manly thoughts! you made me chuckle!! If dove tastes anything like pigeon, stuff them with figs, nuts and bread crumbs and bake them with a few drizzles of white wine. Pigeon is very strong and gamey, and you shouldn't eat too much of it, but once in a while, it's delicious. Sorry I don't have an exact recipe, but my MIL made it once and I was pleasantly suprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait.. does he only hunt dove? because duck or goose or pheasant are delicious...and you only need 1-2 to feed everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks Steph! I haven't tried pigeon, and probably don't plan to! haha He hasn't hunted for duck or goose yet.

    ReplyDelete