Friday, August 6, 2010

Boys Begging for Bars

It was the end of the month and we were out of granola bars. A snack staple in our house. The boys were begging to go to the store to buy more "bars" but that wasn't going to happen..did I mention it was the end of the month? So I had to think fast ;) {Yes I'm being dramatic about it!} I made a little stop at AllRecipes to find one of the highest rated granola bar recipes, because I only want the best for my boys of course! I came across a chewy granola bar recipe but made a few changes per a review I read. They were real easy to make, Micah and Mitchell even helped add the ingredients...and spill oats all over the floor! The boys loved them, especially Josh since his self made lunches aren't so exciting. Here's the recipe with the changes I made. The Rice Krispies gave it a nice little snap, crackle & pop! Enjoy =)


Peanut Butter Granola Bars

     Ingredients
     3 cups rolled oats                                 1/2 cup butter, softened
     1 cup Rice Krispies                               1/2 cup peanut butter
     1 cup all-purpose flour                         1/2 cup honey
     1 tsp baking soda                                 1/3 cup brown sugar
     1 tsp cinnamon                                    1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
     1 tsp vanilla extract

     Directions
     1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan.

     2. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, Rice Krispies, flour,           baking soda and cinnamon. In a small bowl combine the butter, peanut butter, honey, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir until mixed together. Add the peanut butter mixture to the oat mixture and stir with a large spoon. Stir in the chocolate chips.

     3. Press the mixture into the pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars of your size preference. Let the bars cool completely in the pan before removing. Store in an airtight container or ziploc. 











7 comments:

  1. Sounds so yummy! I'm going to have to make these pronto. I'm planning to spend a few hours (grrr!!) warming up my oven on Tuesday to make batches of cookies, so I think I'll add them to my list of baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok - I'm going to try these!!! Even though I don't have any little ones to make them for. Thanks Des!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good des! but don't you feel a wee bit guilty posting a recipe on this blog and not on the Friends and foodies blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum these look and sound way yummier than the recipe I have.. For sure making these this week :) Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes give them a try!
    Becky you don't need kids for an excuse hehe. I won't tell! Or you can practice for future grand babies...someday ;)
    Yes Steph, I admit I do feel guilty, I will get around to it soon! Bear with me =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So yum! The boys like them, but I'm hoping I don't have to share too many :)

    ReplyDelete