Sunday, July 18, 2010

Layered Lemon Pie

I've gone through an issue of Taste of Home a few times and I always seem to stop at the lemon layered pie. Maybe it was a craving...except I wasn't pregnant yet. Or the thought of lemons that just make my mouth water? Or that the recipe called for cream cheese and almost anything with cream cheese is a hit. I never figured my reason but who really needs a reason to make a pie... honestly? Just do it and enjoy it because life is too short to not have pie! So last week I finally made it. Spontaneously, some of our good friends, the Gunn's, joined us that night for a little pie! They agreed, it was edible =) And even better with coffee to balance the tart, sweetness of it! The bottom layer was the most tedious, but no different from the filling for lemon meringue pie. That layer was the tart layer. Then came the lemony cream cheese layer...piece of cake! (er, pie). And next, the creamy whipped topping! I have to admit, I wanted to be thorough and see how it progressed in flavor a day later. And the day after that. You know, for research. And I ate the whole other half of pie, alone! Don't judge me people, I'm growing a human here! And like most of us, it got even better with age. So here you go, try it for your next dinner guests..or just yourself ;) You won't regret it!
 Layered Lemon Pies Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes
{Forgive me, I took this picture at the last second before I hoovered the pie. I promise to improve my food staging skills in the future!}
The only change I made due to lack of lemon extract in my pantry, was adding 2 tbsp. lemon juice in place of the 1/2 tsp. of lemon extract. You could also use 1 tsp. lemon zest. Thank you google ;)
And I halved the recipe to make just one pie, good thing, or I would've eaten the other one too!

4 comments:

  1. We love that we were able to spontaneously come play...and be on the receiving end of that super yummy pie! I'm going to have to try it next...and just maybe share...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Des! And especially that you fessed up to eating the rest of the pie. I'm going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy...I think you should send out mass texts next time, so we...or I can come help you eat that other half!! YUMMMM-OO!!

    ReplyDelete